This one is one of Joel's favorite pizza recipes, but it tastes the best if you can make your own ricotta. That sounds more challenging than it is! The biggest key to making an easy batch of ricotta is to have a cheesecloth on hand. I bought a pack of it, so it's easy to grab whenever we decide to make pizzas on a whim. You can use this recipe if you want to make your own. I find it more flavorful and fresh-tasting than store-bought. Along with the ricotta, you top this pizza with fresh mozzarella and spinach. I usually sprinkle a little bit of kosher or flake salt just before biting into it.
- 1 prepared dough ball
- 00 Italian flour
- Olive oil
- Fresh mozzarella ball
- Homemade ricotta
- Fresh spinach
- Make the ricotta ahead of time the day before or the morning of and store it in the fridge.
- Prepare your dough onto a flat floured surface, then drizzle with olive oil and spoon oil around to cover the dough.
- Drain fresh mozzarella from its water and place it on a paper towel for 30 minutes to continue draining the excess water.
- Add the mozzarella and spoonfuls of the ricotta dropped at various spots around the dough.
- Place the pizza into your Ooni Oven and cook as directed with oven instructions, cooking for half of the time.
- Carefully remove from the oven and add your fresh spinach leaves, then replace back into the pizza oven for the remaining time.
*Cook time is based on using an Ooni Pizza Oven!