This was my first time both making and tasting a poached egg. I only started eating eggs within the last couple of years, so I have worked my way up to trying the different styles. This was also my first time trying an egg with avocado toast because I typically make my favorite recipe and never branch out.
This avocado toast is great for a late breakfast/early lunch and has a smooth savory taste.
It's for those who are in the mood for a heavier breakfast or want the double protein. If you have never made a poached egg, I followed this video to learn how and it was very easy! It only took me about 5 minutes to watch the video and make the egg as it went along.
- 1 Slice of multigrain bread, toasted
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- Salt + pepper to taste
- Fresh lemon juice to taste
- Red pepper flakes
- 1 egg, poached
- 1 tablespoon of vinegar for poaching egg
- Poach your egg by bringing a pot of water to a boil over the stove.
- While your water is heating up, crack your egg over a fine mesh strainer to both check for freshness and remove any excess liquid from the egg whites. Give it a gentle stir to allow it to drain, then take what is left (still should be both yolk and white) place the egg in a bowl while you wait for the water to boil.
- Once your water has boiled, reduce the heat to low so that it is only just bubbling, but no longer boiling.
- Add your vinegar and stir into the water with a spoon, creating a tornado.
- Working quickly, slip your egg into the vinegar water tornado and allow it to be sucked into the flow of the water.
- Cook it for 3 minutes then remove from the heat.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the egg and use a clean cloth to remove any excess water.
- Place your egg to the side while you make your avocado toast.
- Toast your bread and cut through your avocado while you wait for the toast to finish.
- Remove the avocado slices from the shell and place them into a bowl to mash.
- Add your salt and lemon juice, mashing everything together.
- Add the avocado mixture to your bread slice, then top with your egg, freshly ground pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Service immediately.
*The nutrition information provided is a rough estimate that is calculated based on the measurements and ingredients suggested in the Ingredients List. Exact calories and measurements may vary.