I wish I lived in California solely for the purpose of being closer to the production of fresh avocados. Avocado toast made with fresh avocados is one of the easiest and tastiest breakfasts. I had my first avocado toast in NY at a place called The Kitchen Table. They make their toast with multi-grain, mashed avocados, sliced red onion, microgreens, red pepper flakes, and lemon juice. I could be forgetting an ingredient, but needless to say, it's delicious and inspired me to make it at home.
The recipe below is my delicious and quick way of making avocado toast on a weekly basis.
We buy spicy hot honey from a local producer, but any spicy or regular honey is just as flavorful. I recently started adding pickled red onions which have additional health benefits, so I will add that as an option in the recipe as well. You can great as creative as you want and even add an egg!
- 1 slice of sourdough bread, toasted as desired
- 1 /2 of an avocado, sliced, pit removed
- Fresh lemon
- Red pepper flakes
- Spicy hot or regular honey
- Kosher salt + fresh pepper
- Pickled red onion slices (optional, see recipe below)
- Toast sourdough or multi-grain bread as desired
- Mash avocado slices in a bowl or on a plate
- Sprinkle a small bit of kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Squeeze juice from half of a lemon, less or more as desired.
- Spoon the avocado mash onto bread slice and spread evenly into a single layer
- Sprinkle red pepper flakes evenly across.
- Add optional pickled red onion slices.
- Drizzle honey in the desired amount.
Pickled Red Onions (prepped ahead of time):
Slice half a red onion into thin slices and place into a mason jar.
Add into the jar: 2-3 peeled garlic cloves, 1 tablespoon of whole peppercorns.
Bring 1 cup of distilled white vinegar to a simmer with 1 teaspoon of kosher salt.
Pour the vinegar mix into the jar over the red onion ingredients.
Let cool, then place in the fridge for 24 hours to pickle.
Can be used for up to 3 weeks.
*The nutrition information provided is a rough estimate that is calculated based on the measurements and ingredients suggested in the Ingredients List. Exact calories and measurements may vary.